To be an outstanding school with high moral values and a national standing for its scholarship, producing citizens who are leaders and thinkers, imbued with initiative, enterprise and a quest for lifelong learning.
Our key aims are:
- To foster enthusiasm for life-long learning and the pursuit of excellence.
- To develop in each student the skills, knowledge and qualities needed to play an active role in a changing world.
- To give students the confidence to apply knowledge, experiment and embrace challenge.
- To provide opportunities for personal reflection and to encourage a deeper awareness of spiritual, cultural, ethical and social issues.
- To establish a community where students, staff, parents and governors work as partners with mutual respect and shared responsibility.
- Our status as a Science and Engineering College allows us to promote high quality learning opportunities for our pupils using new technologies as they become available.
Building on Tradition
Westcliff High School for Girls is a selective Grammar School with a Sixth Form of about three hundred and forty students. It was founded in 1920 as a co-educational school in Victoria Avenue, Southend, and moved to its present site in 1931. Since then the school has grown to it's present size of around one thousand and ninety five girls.
We have very attractive school grounds with trees, seating and sheltered spaces, as well as playing fields, tennis and netball courts.
We are committed to providing our staff with excellent teaching facilities. The school has considerable specialist accommodation and pupils have access to state of the art computer hardware and software. In recent years we have benefited from major building programmes, adding a ten laboratory science block, new music facilities, a modern dining hall and a sports hall. The provision of this additional accommodation has allowed us to create a suite of four information technology rooms, well equipped art rooms, an excellent library and a drama studio. Our school computer network has broadband access to the Internet.
In recent years we have benefited from major building programmes, adding a ten laboratory Science Block, new Music facilities, a modern Dining Hall, a Sports Hall, additional Science and Technology rooms and an e-Learning Centre. The provision of this additional accommodation has allowed us to create a suite of four Information and Communication Technology rooms, well equipped Art rooms, an excellent Library and a Drama Studio.
In addition, the past two years have seen significant further improvement to our school facilities.ww2
We have extended the school by building on a West Wing, providing new teaching spaces, toilets, a Conference Centre and a Learning Resource Centre.
We have extended the Sports Hall, adding to it a purpose built Dance Studio and Fitness Centre.
We have extended the Music accommodation.
We have installed new cycle storage facilities.
We have extended the hard play areas to provide four netball/tennis courts – all with floodlighting.