- About our School
- Headteacher's Welcome
Westcliff High School for Girls has been proudly educating generations of girls for over 100 years and warmly welcomes boys to join our high achieving sixth form.
Fide et Fortitudine
By Faith and Fortitude
It is my privilege as Headteacher of Westcliff High School for Girls (WHSG) to welcome you to our warm, successful, and vibrant school.
Founded in 1920, WHSG is a well-established academy grammar school which combines both tradition and innovation to cultivate high aspirations. The vision of Westcliff High School for Girls is to empower our students to be the next generation of leaders and enrich their lives and those of others so that they understand their place in society.
We are a friendly, happy, and diverse school community. Our four core values of leadership, enrichment, scholarship, and kindness permeate all aspects of school life, providing exceptional opportunities for our students to develop their talents, express their individuality, and flourish into successful and exceptional young adults.
We are proud of our reputation for excellent pastoral care, ensuring the wellbeing of our students, alongside their learning, is at the centre of everything we do. The school promotes and fosters the values and qualities to prepare our young students to participate as well-rounded and confident citizens in all future social and cultural arenas.
We are also rightly proud of the rich array of extra-curricular activities available to our students, with a strong position in the field of the creative arts, an ever-increasing portfolio of sporting successes, a wide range of clubs, trips, and a vibrant House System, to widen their knowledge and horizons.
As a school providing education to able young people, there is a strong focus on academic achievement, which derives from high quality teaching and learning and a challenging and exciting curriculum at its core. This, testament to the work ethic of both our highly motivated students and dedicated and equally motivated staff, is evidenced in the school’s results. It is this that also regularly puts us within the top 100 schools in the country. Students make significant progress during their time at WHSG, achieving great GCSE results. The academic successes of our students continues into our sixth form, with the majority of our students going onto study at many of the country’s top universities. This year, 7 students who left us in Summer 2022 gained a place at Oxford or Cambridge, and a total of 9 students gained places to study Medicine at University.
WHSG is proud to be part of the South East Essex Academy Trust (SEEAT). Being part of the Trust provides a wide range of opportunities for staff and students to work with schools across the SEEAT network. In return, SEEAT provides us with outstanding support which helps staff and students alike to achieve at the highest level.
Entry to the school at the age of 11 is through selection tests administered by the Consortium of Selective Schools in Essex (CSSE). Details of the application process can be found on our Admissions page.
Thank you for your interest in our school and I encourage you to explore our website further to gain an insight into Westcliff High School for Girls and the wonderful education it offers.
Mrs E Matthews
About our School
- British Values Statement
- Headteacher's Welcome
- Leadership Team & Key Contacts
- Ofsted Information
- Our Equality Objectives
- Policies and Statutory Information
- School Vision
- South East Essex Academy Trust
- Teacher Training
- @whsg1920Teacher of Mathematics, Westcliff High School for Girls, Southend-on-Sea https://t.co/oYXr2Iw24NFollow Us
- @whsg1920Teacher of English, Westcliff High School for Girls, Southend-on-Sea https://t.co/wG47TX6YqkFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @SEEATFamilyWhat a welcome from @AndrewCooperCEO at our @seeatfamily conference focusing on "Putting SEEAT Pupils and People First". Great to have our teaching staff from @WHSG1920 @WestboroughS @DeanesSchool @HoltFarmJunSch @Rochfordps @PrinceAvenue19 @HadleighJunior together #conference https://t.co/Tbb8jkN73mFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @SEEATFamilyGreat to know our @SEEATFamily Geography Conference got everyone thinking. Thanks @kate_stockings for your informative talk on the Future of Geography @RobboGeog for the inspiring keynote and Aaron & Lewis @PlumberowPPA for the session on assessment. What a day for Geography!🌎 https://t.co/X0XyAVjXnQFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @beckygeogheganThe wonderful @kate_stockings in action @SEEATFamily Geography Subject Leader Conference @DeanesSchool https://t.co/LBxU5mrxFvFollow Us
- @whsg1920Teacher of Computer Science, Westcliff High School for Girls, Southend-on-Sea https://t.co/D6YXs4FrzPFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @pennydown@AndrewCooperCEO @SEEATFamily @Rochfordps @HadleighJunior @WHSG1920 @DeanesSchool @HoltFarmJunSch @WestboroughS Christmas at school, always special. Thanks to all the staff who work so hard to make special memories for everyone. Love the SEEAT Christmas tree card. Happy Holidays everyone.Follow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @beckygeogheganWhat a wonderful outcome for a wonderful school! So proud 🙌🏻 https://t.co/yKrKCDzqqCFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @SEEATFamilyDelighted to share the Ofsted outcome at @PrinceAvenue19. GOOD across the board with inspectors noting that "Pupils enjoy school and they love learning". Congratulations to all the @PrinceAvenue19 staff and community. 👏 Read the glowing report here: https://t.co/5rLo297m5b https://t.co/gMk8x5ZA2pFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @DeanesYear11Thanks to Lucy and Jen @MakeHappenEssex for our Year 11 session on memory techniques yesterday https://t.co/zWgOvZqc44Follow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @BotonesSalgadoSuper excited to be a Keynote speaker in this event and talk about how to take MFL lessons outside the classroom and the power of blended learning in learning languages. @beckygeoghegan #mfltwitterati https://t.co/g0C4YTFJoYFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @EducateSouthendCalling all TAs, come and join us for Science on Sea. At last a Conference just for Teaching Assistants. Book HERE https://t.co/Rh1cBzoDkC https://t.co/AEpaKMZbjIFollow Us