- Introduction to chronology, using evidence and the History of WHSG
- The Norman Conquest
- Life in the Middle Ages
- The shift of power from monarch to Parliament 1066-1750
- The Reformation
- Life under the Tudors and Stuarts
- Local History c700-present day
- Life in the Industrial Revolution
- The right to vote 1832-1928
- The First and Second World Wars
- Life in Nazi Germany
- The impact of the Second World War
- Terrorism over time c50CE - present day
Students are assessed through a combination of recall tests, extended writing and source analysis throughout the year.
Edexcel Pearson specification
Paper 1 – Crime and Punishment c1000-present day (30% of final grade)
Paper 2 – Superpower relations and the Cold War, 1941-1991 (20% of final grade)
and - Early Elizabethan England, 1558-1588 (20% of final grade)
Paper 3 – The USA, 1954-75: conflict at home and abroad (Civil Rights & the Vietnam War) (30% of final grade)
Students are assessed throughout the year using exemplar GCSE questions.
A Level Syllabus
- Paper 1 – Russia 1917-91 (30% of final grade)
- Paper 2 – Mao’s China, 1949-76 (20% of final grade)
- Paper 3 – Lancastrians, Yorkists and Henry VII, 1399-1509 (30% of final grade)
- Paper 4 – Coursework (20% of final grade)
Students are assessed throughout the year using exemplar A-Level questions.
Beyond the Classroom
- Year 7 Local History tour (part of the Activity Day programme)
- Year 8 trip to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford (part of the Activity Day programme)
- Year 13 trip to the Tower of London for a guided tour and workshop on Lancastrians, Yorkists and Henry VII (part of the Activity Day programme)
- KS3 History Club (1 lunchtime a week)
Links to Useful Sites
Spartacus Educational provides a series of free history encyclopaedias. Entries usually include a narrative, illustrations and primary sourcesPlease note: the opinions in the blog attached to this site are not endorsed by WHSG.