Year 7 Overview
Unit 1 - Communities
- Introduction to PSHEE
- Understanding what makes a good community.
- Problem solving and teamwork.
- Investigating social and moral dilemmas.
- Understanding rules and consequences.
Unit 2 - Puberty
- Understanding physical and emotional changes.
- Knowing how to stay healthy through diet and exercise, as well as maintain a healthy emotional state of mind.
- Empathising with their peers.
Unit 3 - Careers and Collaboration
- Considering future career choices.
- Making links between housing and social status.
- Designing and creating a business, working together to make decisions.
- Presenting ideas and building confidence.
Unit 4 - Britain as a Multicultural Society
- Understanding and emphasising with the plight of refugees and asylum seekers.
- Looking at immigration and recognising why people from around the world would come and settle in Great Britain.
- Investigating cultures and religious beliefs of countries around the world.
- Creating their own characters from a different social/cultural background.
Year 8 Overview
Unit 1 - Internet safety
- Looking at positives and negatives of internet use
- Investigating the dangers of social media sites and understanding appropriate use of text language.
- Identifying where to go for help and how to report cyber bullying/crime
Unit 2 - Crime
- Identifying the differences between crime and anti-social behaviour
- Understanding the reasons why some young people may commit crimes.
- Looking at the laws surrounding gun and knife crime
- Debating the issues with crime and punishments in this country.
Unit 3 - Drugs
- Investigating types of legal and illegal drugs
- Looking at reasons why people take them.
- Researching the law in regards to possession and dealing.
- Presenting ideas and building confidence.
- Understanding where to go for help and support.
Unit 4 - Mental Health and Body Image and Identity
- Understanding types of eating disorders.
- Discussing both positive and negative mental health and wellbeing.
- Bereavement and Empathy.
- Family Life – looking at types of families and family trees.
- Looking at gender and stereotypes
Year 9 Overview
Unit 1 - Sex Education
- Sexual health and wellbeing including STI’s and how to prevent them.
- Understanding the consequences of risky behaviour.
- Knowing where to go for help and support with sexual health
Unit 2 - Relationships
- Identifying factors that make a positive relationship
- Looking at the issues surrounding stereotyping and discrimination
- Understanding homophobia and transgender phobia.
Unit 3 - Alcohol and Smoking
- Understanding addiction
- Understanding the risks involved in binge drinking
- Identifying long and short term effects of both smoking and drinking alcohol
Unit 4 - Drugs
- Discussing the age related information they would like to learn
- Making independent decisions about the relevant learning
- Researching the most important issues surrounding drugs education that they would like to learn.
- Presenting their findings to their peers to inform their knowledge and understanding.
Year 10 Overview
Unit 1 – Crime and Punishment
- Understanding the difference between prejudice and discrimination
- Looking at the joint enterprise law and consequences of gang crime
- Watching crime related documentaries to understand real life cases and their outcomes.
Unit 2 – Personal Safety
- Assessing risky situations both at home and whilst out
- Discussing ways to stay safe at festivals and parties.
- Presenting the advice to their peers.
Unit 3 –Arranged and Forced Marriage
- Understanding the difference between both arranged and forced marriage.
- Looking at cultural and personal choices
- Consent and the Law
Unit 4 - Fundamental British Values
- Recognising the main values
- Reflecting on what it means to be British
Unit 5 - Disability
- Looking at both physical and mental disabilities
- Recognising prejudice and the disability discrimination act
- Making links between disability and positive mental health
Year 11 Overview
Unit 1 – Teen pregnancy
- Discussing appropriate ages for a long term relationship, including marriage and children
- Looking at teenage pregnancy options
- Consent around the world
- Where to go for help and support
Unit 2 – Careers
- Creating a short and long term career path
- Researching post sixth form options
- Looking at student finance and budgeting
Unit 3 –Beauty and the media
- Looking at self-image
- Understanding how the media influence self-image and esteem
Unit 4 - Revision
- Understanding how individuals learn through different methods
- Learning ways of revising
- Creating and building a personal revision timetable