The Library is a purpose-built space, home to over 11,000 resources divided between fiction and non-fiction with access to computers. It is a calm working room, on two floors, affording everyone the opportunity of quiet study or reading.
The Librarians work closely with the subject departments to keep the non-fiction stock up to date supporting study through every stage. Tracking student reading trends and publishers’ latest releases, we ensure our stock is modern and relevant, yet maintain a balance between classic texts and modern authors to provide a comprehensive reading experience.
The Library catalogue, Accessit, can be accessed remotely (https://uk.accessit.online/wst13/#!dashboard), from a laptop or a smartphone via the school website, meaning students are able to search and reserve books in advance, or add book reviews to the catalogue, helping others with their book choices.
An annual programme of events includes two author visits; one coinciding with World Book Day in March, and the other in the summer term. In the past we have had the pleasure of welcoming highly-respected authors such as Sufiya Ahmed, Sophia Bennett, Anne Cassidy, Laura Dockrill, Mary Hooper, Sally Nicholls, Malcolm Rose and Holly Smale, all of whom have proved highly successful with the girls.
In October we celebrate creative writing with National Poetry Day; this gives the girls the opportunity to submit and recite their poetry based on that year’s theme. Our ‘Catch Me Reading’ initiative enters those ‘caught’ reading into a termly prize draw. To provide a more inclusive reading experience, the first WHSG Book Award was launched in 2018 with a shortlist inspired by the Carnegie Book Award and the Essex Book Award. Its success has turned it into an annual event.
Parents are welcome to contact the Librarians if they have any questions concerning the Library and its resources.
|Issue 11 Library Newsletter Summer 2019||02nd May 2019||Download|
|Issue 1 Library Newsletter Spring 2016||08th Jan 2016||Download|
|Issue 2 Library Newsletter Summer 2016||06th May 2016||Download|
|Issue 3 Library Newsletter Autumn 2016||09th Sep 2016||Download|
|Issue 4 Library Newsletter Spring 2017||13th Jan 2017||Download|
|Issue 5 Library Newsletter Summer 2017||12th May 2017||Download|
|Issue 6 Library Newsletter Autumn 2017||08th Sep 2017||Download|
|Issue 7 Library Newsletter Spring 2018||12th Jan 2018||Download|
|Issue 8 Library Newsletter Summer 2018||04th May 2018||Download|
|Issue 9 Library Newsletter Autumn 2018||07th Sep 2018||Download|
|Issue 10 Library Newsletter Spring 2019||04th Jan 2019||Download|
|Issue 12 Library Newsletter Autumn 2019||22nd Jul 2019||Download|
|Issue 13 Library Newsletter Spring 2020||18th Dec 2019||Download|
- Year Group Diaries
- Beyond the Classroom
- Grading Methods
- Coursework Deadlines
- @whsg1920 retweeted @SoSYouthCouncilAs part of #MakeYourMark 2019 over 2,000 #Southend young people across local schools and community groups shared local issues. Find out what matters to them by clicking on the below link and reading the full report. https://t.co/t95pGjH02c #activeandinvolvedFollow Us
- @whsg1920Teacher of Computing (Full-time or Part-time), Westcliff High School for Girls, Essex https://t.co/3iw5BEMgFxFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @ucas_onlineYou’ve waited anxiously for your uni choices to make their decisions. You’ve logged into Track to check thousands of times, and you've finally received all your offers. Now, you need to give yourself enough time to reply: https://t.co/HVYJbD3F09Follow Us
- @whsg1920Teacher of Mathematics Full Time, Westcliff High School for Girls, Essex https://t.co/u2mdJyzmnKFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @DofEToday we’re excited to announce the launch of The Experience List – 25 activities that teenagers can do to help build confidence, resilience and independence. #TheExperienceListFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @SouthendYMayorThere’s a new press release up about our MYP’s recent visit to the Houses of Parliament - read more here: https://t.co/ADrW2TB8gsFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @DofEEnter our competition for the chance to win one of five pairs of @Hi-Tec Ravine waterproof walking boots worth £120.Follow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @LauraDockrillI am so thrilled to announce that I am going to be speaking live for the first time about the illness that tried to kill me and shame me at THE LONDON PALLADIUM (!!!) tickets are on sale now. I can’t believe it. Thank you world for keeping me here. 🧡🖤 https://t.co/ACVxRDKFTSFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @SouthEssexColl⭐ Accelerate your business and entrepreneur skills ⭐ If you have students in Year 12 or 13 interested in business or entrepreneurship then this FREE 12 week programme is for them! 🏆 To register visit: https://t.co/k0SZlq4Qjr #London #Southend #Essex #Basildon #ThurrockFollow Us