One of the keystones of our Library policy is:
The Library is a purpose-built space, home to over 14,000 resources over two floors,including a bank of computers and with the advantage of an additional room adjoining the back of the Library. It is a calm working room, affording everyone the opportunity of quiet study or reading.
We are committed to maintaining an up-to-date and relevant collection the support the curriculum and work closely with the departments to ensure we are supporting each key stage appropriately. We are continually seeking to improve our ever-expanding fiction collection to reflect everyone in our student population in terms of age and diversity, balancing classic texts with modern fiction.
The Library catalogue can be accessed remotely via the school website using any connected device, making it far more accessible with greater functionality, including
Searching, browsing, reservations and adding reviews. The Home page is a news page for books and events and has a range of links for KS3, GCSE, A-level, EPQ and university applications, as well as the Library’s Twitter feed.
Our annual programme of events includes Blind Date With A Book (February), World Book Day author visit (March), Empathy Day (June), Laura Dockrill author-in-residence visit (every July), WHSG Book Award (annually Sept-Dec) and National Poetry Day (October), as well as our ‘Catch Me Reading’ termly draw for those ‘caught’ reading outside of lessons and our end-of-year reading prizes.
Author day is always a huge success with the girls. In the past we have had the pleasure of welcoming highly respected authors such as Sufiya Ahmed, Sophia Bennett, Anne Cassidy, Laura Dockrill, Mary Hooper, Sally Nicholls, Malcolm Rose, Chris Russell and Holly Smale.
We support our students’ right to read without prejudice or censorship and responsibility for book choices are the students’ own. We always seek to provide guidance on content and age appropriateness, and have bespoke recommended reading lists for each year group.
The Library Times is written and published by the Library every term with occasional special editions (available to browse in pdf format below).
Sixth Form Resources
|Library Newsletter Autumn 2021 issue 18||06th Jan 2022||Download|
|Newsletter Summer 2022 issue 20||09th May 2022||Download|
- Beyond the Classroom
- Cultural Capital and Social Mobility
- Next Steps
- SEND and Young Carers
- Career Talks at WHSG
- Exams Information
- Requests to Reduce Curriculum
- Personal Development and Relationship and Sex Education
- @whsg1920 retweeted @SEEATFamilyGreat to know our @SEEATFamily Geography Conference got everyone thinking. Thanks @kate_stockings for your informative talk on the Future of Geography @RobboGeog for the inspiring keynote and Aaron & Lewis @PlumberowPPA for the session on assessment. What a day for Geography!🌎 https://t.co/X0XyAVjXnQFollow Us
- @whsg1920Teacher of Computer Science, Westcliff High School for Girls, Southend-on-Sea https://t.co/D6YXs4FrzPFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @pennydown@AndrewCooperCEO @SEEATFamily @Rochfordps @HadleighJunior @WHSG1920 @DeanesSchool @HoltFarmJunSch @WestboroughS Christmas at school, always special. Thanks to all the staff who work so hard to make special memories for everyone. Love the SEEAT Christmas tree card. Happy Holidays everyone.Follow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @beckygeogheganWhat a wonderful outcome for a wonderful school! So proud 🙌🏻 https://t.co/yKrKCDzqqCFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @SEEATFamilyDelighted to share the Ofsted outcome at @PrinceAvenue19. GOOD across the board with inspectors noting that "Pupils enjoy school and they love learning". Congratulations to all the @PrinceAvenue19 staff and community. 👏 Read the glowing report here: https://t.co/5rLo297m5b https://t.co/gMk8x5ZA2pFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @MrsGill_“How many students in your class can go a whole day and never be asked to verbally share their thinking?” Great question from @MrGoodwin23 Here are five ways to scaffold students’ discussions & verbal responses. via @teacherhead Link https://t.co/Wl1qwCOlYx #abbyschools https://t.co/hLK9ES9QJZFollow Us
- @whsg1920Teacher of Business Studies, Westcliff High School for Girls, Southend-on-Sea https://t.co/L8Hw6tSIm6Follow Us
- @whsg1920Join us for our Charity Week Quiz night next Tuesday 15th November organised by our Sixth Form senior team. Teams of up to 10 will battle it out to see who can be crowned the brains of WHSG! £7.50 pp available on Parentpay. BYO snacks and drinks. https://t.co/BmXJUxndZdFollow Us