One of the keystones of our Library policy is:
The Library is a purpose-built space, home to over 12,000 resources over two floors, including a bank of computers. It is a calm working room, affording everyone the opportunity of quiet study or reading.
We are committed to maintaining an up-to-date and relevant collection in terms of the curriculum, working closely with our departments to ensure we are supporting each key stage appropriately. In terms of our ever-expanding fiction collection, we are continually seeking to improve our stock to reflect everyone in our student population in terms of age and diversity, balancing classic texts with modern fiction.
Rudine Sims Bishop, Professor Emerita, Ohio State University talks about the need for diversity in children’s fiction.
The Library catalogue can be accessed remotely via the school website using a smartphone or a laptop, allowing students greater opportunities for searching or browsing, making reservations and adding reviews. The Home page also contains a wide range of links for KS3, GCSE, A-level, EPQ and university applications, as well as links to book adaptations, literary festivals and our own Twitter feed.
Our annual programme of events includes Blind Date With A Book (February), World Book Day author visit (March), Empathy Day (June), Laura Dockrill author-in-residence visit (every July), WHSG Book Award (annually Sept-Dec) and National Poetry Day (October), as well as our ‘Catch Me Reading’ termly draw for those ‘caught’ reading outside of lessons.
Author day is always a huge success with the girls. In the past we have had the pleasure of welcoming highly-respected authors such as Sufiya Ahmed, Sophia Bennett, Anne Cassidy, Laura Dockrill, Mary Hooper, Sally Nicholls, Malcolm Rose, Chris Russell and Holly Smale.
We encourage our students to read without censorship. Responsibility for book choices are the students’ own; however, we always seek to provide guidance on content and age appropriateness, and offer reading suggestions for each year group with our recommended reading lists.
The ‘Library Times’ is produced and published by the Library every term, in addition to occasional special editions.
(Available in pdf format for download below.)
- Year Group Diaries
- Beyond the Classroom
- Grading Methods
- Coursework Deadlines
- Year 8 Options
- Next Steps
- @whsg1920• AUSTRIA SKI TRIP • Letters will be coming out soon about the places left on our February 2022 Ski Trip to Dachstein West, Austria! There are only a few places left and spaces will be given out on a first come first served basis so make sure you get in quickly! https://t.co/1UeG3Nw95tFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @whsg_biologyVery creative/tasty models of Neurones made by year 10 this week! Well done! https://t.co/pmY0VJmKlmFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @emmanuelaccess🤔Interested in Oxford/Cambridge? 👩💻 Want to learn more about how to get there? 🌟 If you are a Y11/12 student in Essex, Thurrock or Southend-on-Sea, then our new program with @HertfordCollege may be for you! Find out more here! >> https://t.co/EjlKHEeVqB << https://t.co/PNRAsdz3BzFollow Us
- @whsg1920Have you seen Lucinda in our library? She needs help with her winter coat! If you'd like a chance to have your artwork shown in Southend's @HaresAboutTown Trail, pick up a design template at @Librarywhsg and get drawing! Deadline for applications is Friday 23rd October. https://t.co/Q94ivCSgNzFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @TheParentsZone📢 Schools 📢 RT this list of #cyberbullying digital drop-ins for parents. They're FREE and full of practical tips. Monday, 4.30: https://t.co/2REyN5VAjE Tuesday, 4.30: https://t.co/LoDSFaySAm Wednesday, 4.30: https://t.co/pWqG1GEM34 Thursday, 4.30: https://t.co/AwSPyIU3Gd https://t.co/hPuhupQFsbFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @TheLeighTimesLeigh: Third book in mythical children’s odyssey https://t.co/yEZzjQic0nFollow Us
- @whsg1920Check out our new guidelines for individual music lessons: https://t.co/Vv2vzpZpciFollow Us
- @whsg1920Follow our Instagram account to see what our students and staff will be getting up to throughout the year! 📚🧑🏫 https://t.co/u2sl9KHaBQFollow Us