One of the keystones of our Library policy is:
The Library is a purpose-built space, home to over 12,000 resources over two floors, including a bank of computers. It is a calm working room, affording everyone the opportunity of quiet study or reading.
We are committed to maintaining an up-to-date and relevant collection in terms of the curriculum, working closely with our departments to ensure we are supporting each key stage appropriately. In terms of our ever-expanding fiction collection, we are continually seeking to improve our stock to reflect everyone in our student population in terms of age and diversity, balancing classic texts with modern fiction.
The Library catalogue can be accessed remotely via the school website using a smartphone or a laptop, allowing students greater opportunities for searching or browsing, making reservations and adding reviews. The Home page also contains a wide range of links for KS3, GCSE, A-level, EPQ and university applications, as well as links to book adaptations, literary festivals and our own Twitter feed.
Our annual programme of events includes Blind Date With A Book (February), World Book Day author visit (March), Empathy Day (June), Laura Dockrill author-in-residence visit (every July), WHSG Book Award (annually Sept-Dec) and National Poetry Day (October), as well as our ‘Catch Me Reading’ termly draw for those ‘caught’ reading outside of lessons.
Author day is always a huge success with the girls. In the past we have had the pleasure of welcoming highly-respected authors such as Sufiya Ahmed, Sophia Bennett, Anne Cassidy, Laura Dockrill, Mary Hooper, Sally Nicholls, Malcolm Rose, Chris Russell and Holly Smale.
We encourage our students to read without censorship. Responsibility for book choices are the students’ own; however, we always seek to provide guidance on content and age appropriateness, and offer reading suggestions for each year group with our recommended reading lists.
The ‘Library Times’ is produced and published by the Library every term, in addition to occasional special editions.
(Available in pdf format for download below.)
Sixth Form Resources
- Year Group Diaries
- Beyond the Classroom
- Grading Methods
- Year 8 Options
- Next Steps
- Summer 2021 GCSE & GCE
- @whsg1920Get prepared for the holidays and order your discounted Adventure Island bands for just £15! Select 'BIG BAND Adventure Island Wristbands' on ParentPay and tickets can be collected from the finance office. All tickets must be collected by 12:00noon on Fri 16th July. https://t.co/3KDBE4c4l0Follow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @SET_ScienceIf you haven't been able to experience required science practicals first hand this year, you might be interested in joining us at our upcoming face to face 'Closing the practical gap in science' CPD running @WHSG1920 on Fri 9 July: https://t.co/r7Tu8zMtke #secondaryscience #STEM https://t.co/F89IrxxXwQFollow Us
- @whsg1920We've extended our application deadline! Required to start as soon as possible; we are seeking an efficient and committed individual to take responsibility for organising school trips and visits, maintain the school website and calendar, and manage our social media. Apply now! https://t.co/khr37py138Follow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @LibrarywhsgToday is Empathy Day! By reading stories you can build on your ability to empathise with others and make a better world. Type Emapthy Day into the Library catalogue to see the books from previous years. #happyempathyday #empathyday2021 #todayisagooddaytoread #GreatSchoolLibraries https://t.co/yINbkJiaZTFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @whsg_biologyCongratulations to our year 10 students who have achieved some excellent grades in this years British Biology Challenge. @UKBioComps 18.5% of year 10 achieved Silver or higher compared to 14% globally (26 silvers and 4 golds!).@WHSG1920 @RoyalSocBio https://t.co/W9fzUC7FZBFollow Us
- @whsg1920We're looking for a new Trips, Website and Social Media Administrator! Applications close Friday 11 June 2021 at midday. https://t.co/LPyEJ85IQEFollow Us
- @whsg1920We appreciate you and all you have done for us! https://t.co/BTKYBnCooLFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @SET_ScienceWe are delighted to announce that @SET_Science have been selected as the Specialist Delivery SLP for Biology by @STEMLearningUK. This role will be led by Matt King, Head of Biology at Westcliff High School for Girls: https://t.co/oW4n10g8Pg @whsg_biology @WHSG1920 #biology https://t.co/rvdlarNVczFollow Us
- @whsg1920We are delighted to announce the appointment of Andrew Cooper as Dr Hayman's successor, to be effective from 1st September 2021. https://t.co/J0QjOTH1F9Follow Us
- @whsg1920Congratulations to Rumaysa, Samira & Sumehra for their incredible entry into the 'Rethinking Languages through COVID-19' competition! https://t.co/zxQpiFlsSDFollow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @cs_essexWe are delighted to announce the launch of Pathways into Technology, a brand new video series created by young people, asking the right questions to inspire others into technology careers. https://t.co/0X3vbG5KuI @MrsSAHancock @RhodaQuist @ShorifaKhanam @Vanderpere @CareersWeek https://t.co/czvpOMN4bkFollow Us