The Library is a purpose-built space, home to over 11,000 resources divided between fiction and non-fiction with access to computers. It is a calm working room, on two floors, affording everyone the opportunity of quiet study or reading.
The Librarians work closely with the subject departments to keep the non-fiction stock up to date supporting study through every stage. Tracking student reading trends and publishers’ latest releases, we ensure our stock is modern and relevant, yet maintain a balance between classic texts and modern authors to provide a comprehensive reading experience.
The Library catalogue, Accessit, can be accessed remotely (https://uk.accessit.online/wst13/#!dashboard), from a laptop or a smartphone via the school website, meaning students are able to search and reserve books in advance, or add book reviews to the catalogue, helping others with their book choices.
An annual programme of events includes two author visits; one coinciding with World Book Day in March, and the other in the summer term. In the past we have had the pleasure of welcoming highly-respected authors such as Sufiya Ahmed, Sophia Bennett, Anne Cassidy, Laura Dockrill, Mary Hooper, Sally Nicholls, Malcolm Rose and Holly Smale, all of whom have proved highly successful with the girls.
In October we celebrate creative writing with National Poetry Day; this gives the girls the opportunity to submit and recite their poetry based on that year’s theme. Our ‘Catch Me Reading’ initiative enters those ‘caught’ reading into a termly prize draw. To provide a more inclusive reading experience, the first WHSG Book Award was launched in 2018 with a shortlist inspired by the Carnegie Book Award and the Essex Book Award. Its success has turned it into an annual event.
Parents are welcome to contact the Librarians if they have any questions concerning the Library and its resources.
|Issue 11 Library Newsletter Summer 2019||02nd May 2019||Download|
|Issue 1 Library Newsletter Spring 2016||08th Jan 2016||Download|
|Issue 2 Library Newsletter Summer 2016||06th May 2016||Download|
|Issue 3 Library Newsletter Autumn 2016||09th Sep 2016||Download|
|Issue 4 Library Newsletter Spring 2017||13th Jan 2017||Download|
|Issue 5 Library Newsletter Summer 2017||12th May 2017||Download|
|Issue 6 Library Newsletter Autumn 2017||08th Sep 2017||Download|
|Issue 7 Library Newsletter Spring 2018||12th Jan 2018||Download|
|Issue 8 Library Newsletter Summer 2018||04th May 2018||Download|
|Issue 9 Library Newsletter Autumn 2018||07th Sep 2018||Download|
|Issue 10 Library Newsletter Spring 2019||04th Jan 2019||Download|
|Issue 12 Library Newsletter Autumn 2019||22nd Jul 2019||Download|
- Year Group Diaries
- Beyond the Classroom
- Grading Methods
- Coursework Deadlines
- @whsg1920 retweeted @mrkingstsciTemporary vacancy at a friendly and supportive grammar school in Essex. Excellent student behavior, great resources and dynamic team. Required January to September https://t.co/3D1qOkAISXFollow Us
- @whsg1920Teacher of Science (Biology), Westcliff High School for Girls, Essex https://t.co/zhSY2AEsG9Follow Us
- @whsg1920 retweeted @SouthendSNYoung people in Southend aged 11-19 can now text a school nurse to ask for confidential advice and support. Text us on 07520 649895 for support with issues such as mental health, relationships, healthy eating, smoking and bullying. #KnowYourSchoolNurse #HereToHelp https://t.co/kcUpmQa7cKFollow Us
- @whsg1920Looking for opportunities, ideas and advice on careers? Keep checking the 'Careers' page on our website. https://t.co/vhSx7kmfrSFollow Us
- @whsg1920There is still time to get your tickets! https://t.co/NlntWmIN83Follow Us